What is Android Device Manager?
Android Device Manager is a vital security feature that enables the ability to locate a lost or stolen device through an app. When the device is confirmed to be unrecoverable, the owner can choose to remotely lock or wipe the content from the Android device. To benefit from this security feature, the device owner will have to connect the device to their Google account.
Key Features of Android Device Manager
The Android Device Manager is built with the following key features that help in easily locating a lost/stolen device:
Easily locate the device
After installing the Android Device Manager on the device and connecting it to the respective Google account of the owner, it becomes easy to track the device by just signing in from any system. The device owner will be able to locate and view on the map even if the device is being taken around. The device manager for Android has the potential to support the addition of multiple devices, and they can be easily viewed in a drop-down list view.
Ring or Lock or Wipe
When the device is lost, the device owner will be able to ring the device or lock it, in order to, protect the data stored in the device.
- The user can also choose to change or set a password or PIN. A message gets displayed on the locked screen to help the device possessor to contact the device owner.
- Ringing the device will cause the smartphone to ring at its maximum volume even if the ring tone is turned off or turned down. The phone will be able to ring at full volume for the next five minutes.
- The device owner can access the Android Device Manager website by just signing in as a guest on the Android Device Manager app from a friend’s Android device or from any computer.
- The user can wipe the device using the Android Device Manager when there are clear signs that the device is unrecoverable. After performing the wipe command, the phone will be restored to factory settings. The device owner will never be able to connect with the instrument using the Android Device Manager. This feature is active even when the power is off. This “wipe” option will prevent strangers from misusing your device or even the data that is stored in it.
Help a friend track and control his/her stolen/lost device
You have the option to log in as a "Guest" on Android Device Manager. This option can be used to allow your friend to locate and control (ring, lock or wipe) his/her device which has either been stolen or lost.
How to Use Android Device Manager?
You will first have to start with the installation and signing in process followed by a few basic things that need to be done in order to start using the Android Device Manager:
- The Android Device Manager app is available in the Google Play app. Find it and then download and install it. However, you will have to go to your settings and allow the app to function as a Device Administrator, thus giving you the power to wipe or lock the device.
- You need a Google account to download the Android Device Manager app. Sign into Device Manager using that account. It is possible for you to use any of the Google accounts that you have on your phone. These accounts can be found in a drop-down list when you open the app. You can sign in by using the password of your Google account and then click the blue sign in button.
- Ensure that the location feature is turned on.
- Enable remote data wipe.
- Log in with your Google account to the Android Device Manager website or to the app on another device to locate and control your device if it's stolen or lost.
- You will now see a dashboard pop up that will show you where your device is, with the other options.
- You will be able to know the location of the device by checking the map that appears automatically.
- You will also get information about the battery level, whether the device is online, and where and when it was last located.
- You can choose to ring your device continuously for five minutes at the highest volume by pressing the Play Sound option.
- You can use the Lock option to lock your Android device remotely so that no one can misuse your data.
- You can use the Erase option to erase all your photos, music, apps, and other settings from your device. Even if your device is offline, the erase and reset would happen the next time it comes online.
- Remember that once your device has been wiped clean, you will not be able to access it from the app.
Benefits of Using Comodo Android Device Manager
The Comodo Mobile Device Manager (CMDM) will help you to centrally manage large-scale deployments of personal and corporate mobile devices. This solution provides all the resources necessary for your IT team to manage your enterprise mobility in a more effective manner.
The CMDM offers the following benefits:
- Helps IT admins enforce security standards and policies, control access to particular sites and apps, encrypt sensitive corporate data, and more.
- Allows IT admins to remotely locate, lock, and wipe the mobile device.
- Provides a self-service portal for end users to enable rapid incident management.
- Enables remote and seamless control over mobile devices, giving IT admins the potential to enforce security restrictions to protect their corporate-owned data regardless of the device that holds it.
- Manages all mobile devices from one, centralized dashboard.
- Guarantees device and data security
- Application management
- Mobile device enrollment
- Mobile device configuration
- Provides auditing capabilities for the IT Admins
- Provides monitoring capabilities for the IT Admins
- Improves employee productivity, reduces security risks for organizations and eventually enhances employee satisfaction and morale.