Tips To Securing Your Windows 7
Take up any Microsoft OS – it will have its set of security issues. Even the latest Windows 10 – touted to be the most secure Windows OS – is not without its faults despite having Windows Defender. And if you are still using Windows 7, your system is in a precarious situation – unless it is protected using the right security software. Therefore, in this blog post, let's take a look at some security measures Windows 7 users can take for protecting their OS.
- Keep BitLocker Enabled: Always keep the BitLocker enabled as this can encrypt your hard drive, boot system, and even removable media like USB. All you have to do is right-click and encrypt any volume from within Windows Explorer. Several protection methods are available, including combinations of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip, PIN, password, smart card etc., But always remember to save your BitLocker encryption recovery information somewhere safe. BitLocker is really good at encryption and your data will be lost forever in case you forget your recovery password. In case of enterprises usually, user recovery passwords are automatically backed up to Active Directory.
- Raise The UAC Slider Bar: Ensure User Account Slider (UAC) bar is set to 'Always Notify' level, which is the most secure setting. Never settle for the default setting, because it's usually one or two steps lower than the desired setting. Therefore never forget to check your UAC slider and keep it at 'Always Notify' Level. This can minimize security threats.
- Keep Your OS Safe From Third-Party Software: Windows update service will help Microsoft users like you download and install Windows updates in a timely manner. But it does not contain an inbuilt mechanism to monitor third-party software which your system contains. Because it's not the job of Microsoft. So it's your job to keep track of third-party software and update them regularly so that they don't make your OS vulnerable.
- Perform Regular Data Backups: Never forget to backup your system data. Like with most Windows OS(es), Windows 7 also comes with an inbuilt backup option. To perform backups, you have to go to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Backup and Restore. You can also google and find out how these backups are performed.
- Use Antivirus Software: All the security measures mentioned above would be of no use to you if you don't have an antivirus software installed on your OS. Because today's sophisticated malware cannot be stopped without an antivirus software. Therefore don't forget to implement an antivirus software.
Comodo Antivirus Is The Best Antivirus For Windows 7
Comodo Antivirus which comes equipped with impressive security features is the best antivirus for Windows 7 the cybersecurity market has to offer. Technologies like Containment, Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), Viruscope, Secure Shopping, Firewall and more, ensure your Windows 7 OS is protected not just against known malware attacks but against zero-day threats too.
Comodo Antivirus is the best antivirus for Windows 7 because it contains the following features:
- Containment: Technology unique to Comodo which ensures all files or applications are denied entry into your PC(s) by default, whether they are known good (whitelisted ones), known bad (blacklisted ones) or unknown (not identified or encountered so far) until they prove themselves to be harmless.
- Host Intrusion Protection (HIPS): CIS also ships with a default HIPS rule-set which offer protection to your PC(s). Simply put, Comodo HIPS protects system critical files or folders from malware infections by enforcing a set of security rules that offer high levels of protection. HIPS rule-set is highly customizable.
- Viruscope – this technology unique to Comodo, basically monitors all the processes running on your computer and alerts you when a process behaves abnormally or has gone rogue (indications of malware infection). Using Viruscope, PC users can potentially reverse or undo such undesirable processes.
- Virtual Desktop: When browsing the internet, you give away vital information about your PC which can compromise its security badly. But with CIS, as you'll be subscribing to the services Virtual Desktop, you can freely browse the internet and run programs without any fear of those activities damaging your real computer.
- Rescue Disk: Extremely useful security feature which allows PC users to run virus scans in the pre-boot environment. That is before Windows OS loads itself.
- And Much More: Website filtering, protection against fileless malware, cloud-based protection and much more ensure your PC(s) are protected not just against different types of malware attacks but against zero-day threats as well.
Download Comodo Internet Security
The Best Antivirus For Windows 7