Top 8 Best Free Antivirus list of 2020
- Comodo Antivirus -Award-winning antivirus with a free version and full version for $17.99
- Avast- Free package keeps you better protected than many paid antiviruses
- Avira- Award Winning Consumer Security
- Avg -Good antivirus for all your devices
- Bitdefender - Solid online security
- Kaspersky- Good protection for Windows, Mac, and more.
- Malwarebytes- Good protection for online threats
- Panda- Protection for computers, tablets, and smartphones
An antivirus software (popularly referred to as 'antivirus') is a program or a set of programs that detect, block and remove software viruses in particular and all malware in general (viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, adware etc).
Having an Antivirus Software installed on a computer is of vital importance. This is because any system today would get infected with malware within minutes of connecting it to the internet. Since thousands of new malware are created daily, it becomes important that antivirus programs are updated regularly as well.
A typical antivirus software provides the following basic functionalities
- Scans files/directories for suspicious or malicious files/programs.
- Scans any specific file or a flash drive/CD on request.
- Detects and removes malicious codes after notifying the user and obtaining permission to clean the infected file.
- Updates user on the health of the system/device.
How to test the Best Free Antivirus Software
There are so many threatening malware and viruses online that might corrupt your electronic devices. Virus protection apps are the best tools that every device must have to be safe when browsing online. The antivirus software can safeguard your mobile phone, laptop, and any other device that you use to browse online. Antivirus programs must be regularly updated to tackle the latest viruses. Viruses and malware threats are created daily; therefore antivirus programs must be up to date on a daily basis. There are free antiviruses while some can be purchased.
When looking for a free antivirus, it is important not to compromise your files by needlessly experimenting or engaging in risky online behavior to check if your antivirus will protect you. The best way to determine which is the best free antivirus, is to let the experts test them for you. Independent organization AV-TEST conducts regular tests of all the top antivirus products in the market to determine which is the best. Visit https://www.av-test.org/en/ to learn more and see how different antiviruses stack up against each other and against dangerous malware.
Best Free Antivirus buying tips
There are different types of antivirus programs. Some are stand-alone programs while others are internet-based. Here are some of the top features you should look for when buying an antivirus.
Malware is any software that damages computers and laptops. Some programs look authentic but they can damage your computer. These are called Trojan malware. There are also worm’s malware that spread faster throughout the files. Anti-malware works against malware to protect your gadget.
Antispyware detects and blocks dangerous programs that invade your privacy. Spyware is designed to gather confidential information such as passwords.
3. Browser security
This safeguards your gadget from dangerous sites and adverts that pop up while you are browsing.
4. Network firewallsThis protects your computer from automated viruses that exploit a network to access your computer.
5. Phishing protection
This blocks spams and corrupted emails from reaching your inbox.