Best Free Antivirus for Windows 8
A strong antivirus program is essential for Windows PC users in order to make their computers run efficiently, prevent malware attacks, and safeguard their personal information and online identities.
List of Best Free Antivirus for Windows 8
- Comodo Free Antivirus
- Avast Free Antivirus
- AVG Free Antivirus
- Panda Free Antivirus
- Avira Free Antivirus
1. Comodo Free Antivirus for Windows 8
Comodo Free Antivirus is considered to be the best free antivirus for Windows 8 because of its unique Defense+ technology that is responsible for constantly examining running programs besides coming up with warning alerts when it discovers anything suspicious. This predictive feature included in Comodo free virus protection software is capable of providing it a competitive edge over other security software, most of which are capable of only identifying the known threats. Comodo free firewall and Sandbox mode are the other two significant features provided by Comodo's free antivirus software.
Key Features of Comodo Free Antivirus
- Reliable and effective protection for your Windows 8 PC against malware threats
- Autonomous operation with minimal user interaction and interruption
- Upgrades with added features available
- Maximizes your PC's efficiency and operation speed
- Default Deny Approach prevents all files by default from entering the system until they prove themselves to be harmless
- Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) comprehensively monitors your computers and prevents the entry of malicious attacks
- Auto-Sandbox technique isolates the potentially harmful programs in a restricted environment without letting it affect your workflow
- VirusScope helps PC users to undo malicious-looking changes which computers might have recorded as a result of malicious actors
- Containment technology helps is backing default deny approach by 'containing' or 'restraining' files and running them in a separate environment, until they prove themselves to be harmless, without affecting your PC(s) security.
- Cloud-based Behavior Analysis — Valkyrie: with the increase in zero-day malware, the demand for a cloud-based behavior analysis system which can keep up with the various latest malware is indeed critical.
- Efficient Whitelisting refers to the potential to mark specific files as trustworthy and give them default access.
Multi-layered threat protection that keeps your system problem free security
- Reliable cloud-based scanning for real-time protection
- Automatically scans files and links downloaded from the internet
- Capable of efficiently safeguarding your PC against online threats, malicious codes, and hacks.
2. Avast Free Antivirus for Windows 8
Avast free antivirus is available with a powerful antivirus core and a highly customizable user interface. It enhances security measures with intelligent threat-detection, real-time protection, and added security for your network, browser, and passwords.
Key Features of Avast Free Antivirus
- Multiple scan modes that include quick scan, full system scan, and removable media scan
- Avast WebRep browser plugin provides extra surf protection by highlighting a website's reputation score
- Avast updates almost daily bringing in new antivirus definitions keeping your PC 100% secured
- Avast uses very minimal system resources and runs silently in the background giving you protection and productivity at the same time.
3. AVG Free Antivirus for Windows 8
AVG Antivirus protects your Windows 8 PC from malware, viruses, ransomware and several other threats without slowing down your computer. It is a full-fledged antivirus and antispyware tool, which includes a link scanner, email scanner, scheduled scanning options, automatic updates, and many more.
Key Features of AVG Free Antivirus
- Scans your devices and blocks unsafe links, downloads and attachments
- Bundles an anti-spyware tool as well for free
- Good real-time and on-demand scanners
- LinkScanner to protect browsing
- Checks the links you are trying to visit and attempts to protect you from malicious sites with alerts
- Light-weight on system resources
- AVG does not load the system at all providing great protection with minimal resources
4. Panda Free Antivirus for Windows 8
Panda antivirus is a cloud-based antivirus, which uses cloud computing to carry away part of the scanning and other operations to remote servers, preventing your computer carrying out this task.
Key Features of Panda Free Antivirus
- Real-time protection against all types of spyware and malware. Scan your computer on demand/schedule periodic scans.
- Protect your PC by preventing the automatic execution of malware from USB drives. Scan all USB drives upon insertion.
- Panda Rescue Kit is a free PC recovery system. Run an advanced scan of your PC or create a rescue USB drive to boot and clean those infected computers that won't even start.
- Multimedia/Gaming mode guarantees that you play or watch multimedia content without disturbance from your antivirus while continuing to be completely secure.
5. Avira Free Antivirus for Windows 8
Avira provides great protection against worms, viruses, and Trojans. The user interface is sleek and extremely customizable. It is powered by a combination of cloud technologies, artificial intelligence, and the endpoint antivirus scanner. Avira Free Antivirus, available with near-perfect detection rates, low system impact, and an intuitive interface, is capable of delivering a smooth-running solution that does not slow down your computer.
- Protection Cloud, Avira's early warning system, analyzes unknown files in the cloud
- Blocks harmful websites before they load
- PUA Shield helps in identifying potentially unwanted applications hidden within legitimate software
- Protection cloud technology scans unknown files in real time for exploits and malware