Top Free Antivirus For 2020
Cybercrime has been growing significantly year after year, which means that it's more important than ever to ensure that your computer and other devices are 100% protected.
One of the best ways to prevent malware from infecting your computer and taking hold of your system is to use one of the top 10 free antivirus programs. Reliable antivirus software is essential to a secure system, and you most definitely do not have to pay for one to get great protection. Check out some of them below.
#1 Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Internet Security (CIS) was formed with a motto of "creating trust online" and continues to stand by its values and provides its users with robust protection from different types of malware. In addition to letting you schedule the scan so you don't get interrupted during work, it also features:
- A quarantine mode, which stores potentially infected files in a folder that other programs cannot access
- Sandbox technology that creates a virtual environment for programs, thereby keeping your computer safe from viruses and Trojans
- Real-time scanning
- Heuristics Engine, which enables you to determine previously unknown viruses
- Scans removable devices like USB drives, CDs, DVDs, and even cell phones
- Smart detection of user's browsing behavior that reduces the number of notifications over a period
If you're looking for a feature-packed software for home usage, Comodo is indeed the right antivirus for free for you.
McAfee is one of the well-reputed security solution companies that are highly focused on protecting consumers and enterprises. McAfee Security Scan Plus checks your computer for all types of viruses and threats in your applications.
Avast is an all in one antivirus software that protects you from threats occurring through the internet, email, local files, P2P connections and much more. It is one of the best antivirus software that provides constant virus protection called an on-access or resident protection for free. Additionally, Avast is a fast, lightweight software and available for Windows, MAC, and Android. Some of the free version's features include:
- Easy installation
- On-access protection from viruses and other threats
- Scans browser plugins to bust out installs that have a poor reputation
- Heuristics Engine that allows you to pinpoint previously unknown viruses
- Silent mode, which inhibits notifications to pop up on the screen
Developed by AVG Technologies, Anti-Virus Guard or AVG is a subsidiary of Avast Software. AVG is excellent in detecting malware and analyzes risks by matching them with those in its database. Some of its best highlights include:
- Excellent malware blocking
- Do not track feature, which prevents advertisers from tracking your location
- Polished User Interface
- Blocks malicious URLs
- Live chat support in addition to the email support
- Game mode, which efficiently prevents notifications of updates and scans while you're playing your favorite online/offline game
Since its foundation in 2001, Bitdefender continues to provide all-round protection against viruses, malware and web issues. It has the capacity to regularly updated virus definitions in the background. Apart from that, Bitdefender does not lag your computer since it's very light. It's also much easier to use because of its simplicity. Take a closer look at some of the features that make this software such a great antivirus for free option:
- It has a light or no impact on the performance of your operating system
- Email support
- Excellent protection against phishing
- No way to start a quick or scheduled scan
- On-access protection for viruses and malware
Put simply, if you need a straightforward antivirus tool with less fuss or customizability, Bitdefender is a great choice for you.
#6 Sophos Home
Sophos Home, a creation of the Sophos group, offers commercial-grade security to home users for free. This antivirus for free protects your PC and MAC from viruses, malware and also blocks websites that may install malware on your device. Its unwanted app detection feature always monitors apps that might be trying to install themselves on your device. Some of its best highlights include:
- Supports Windows as well as Linux, Mac and Android too
- Configuring the management dashboard is easy
- You can see all the device protected by Sophos on the dashboard
- Uses its Virus alert feature, which displays an alert for the next action instead of deleting the threat, malware or virus automatically
- Clean User Interface
- Strong remote monitoring and management
Cybercriminals are always coming up with new ways to gain access to your PC and other internet-enabled devices. Fortunately, online software security companies are also constantly updating their security software packages to protect against various online attacks, such as phishing scams, ransomware and all other types of viruses and malware. Just keep in mind that when choosing among the top 10 free antivirus, your choice should cover everything you need to secure the total protection of your device.