What Is An Antivirus?
An antivirus is a software which offers protection to your PC(s) against various security threats. Be it a virus, malware or any other kind of security vulnerability. Roughly speaking, it has been in existence since 1987 and has evolved along with the various security threats emerging from the cybersecurity threat landscape.
Antivirus software of today offers the much-needed real-time protection. Which means they learn to tackle the malware as and when it evolves. The cybersecurity market contains many free antivirus packages, most of which are pretty effective but offer only minimal amount of protection. For those PC users seeking enhanced protection, paid version suits better.
How Does Antivirus Protect Your PC(s)?
Now that you know the answer to 'what is antivirus?', let's try to understand its working. Antivirus usually works on 'identify-block-quarantine' basis. Meaning AV(s) 'identify' malware based on a set of predefined characteristics, 'block' them from entering your PC(s), and 'quarantine' them, in case they have already infected your PC(s).
Malware identification and blocking is usually done based on pre-defined blacklisted and whitelisted lists and using different types of scanning methods like static scanning and heuristics or dynamic scanning. Whereas quarantining is done to test suspicious applications and to separate infected sections of your PC(s) from the good ones.
What Comodo Antivirus Offers for Your PC?
Comodo Antivirus Protection, which comes equipped with impressive security features like Containment, HIPS, Viruscope and more, ensures PC(s) are well protected against security threats of different kinds. Therefore be it known malware attack or unpredictable and unknown zero-day threats, with Comodo antivirus protection by your side, your PC(s) will be well protected against them.
Comodo's answer to what is antivirus is contained in the following technologies which it makes use of to protect your PC(s) against security threats:
- Default Deny Approach - technology unique to and developed by Comodo which ensures all files (be it malicious, good or bad) are denied entry to critical system files and folders until they prove themselves to be harmless. This is extremely useful to counter zero-day attacks which are usually unpredictable and therefore unresolvable.
- HIPS and Viruscope - Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) which impose security rules for preventing malware intrusion and establishing an intrusion prevention system. And Viruscope for monitoring system processes and stopping or undoing any malicious activity which might be infecting one of these processes.
- Cloud-Based Malware Analysis - cloud-based system scans to detect if a given file is malware or not. Another useful provision for combating zero-day malware.
- Advanced Firewall Engine* - The customizable firewall offers solid security against inbound and outbound threats. This implies protection against hackers, malware, identity theft and various other network security threats. (available only with CIS Premium Free)
- Unlimited Virus Removal Service* - PC users are infected with the virus and other such malware, can get their PC(s) repaired in no time by making use of the unlimited malware removal service which is a part of Comodo Internet Security (CIS) (available only with priced CIS editions)
- 24/7 Available Support* - Comodo Internet Security (CIS) users are also bestowed with the privilege of seeking the support's assistance anytime. All PC users have to do is just give us a call and our support team will be glad to help you out (available only with priced CIS editions).
- And Much More* - apart from this, there are several other technologies which come equipped with Comodo Free Antivirus which tackle malware as well as zero-day attacks effectively (available only with priced CIS editions).