Computer viruses are those malicious programs that once they infect your machine will start causing immense havoc on your computer. You will have to watch out and alert yourself when your computer suddenly becomes slow taking extra time to boot, and also be alert when an unwanted pop-up appears while browsing. All these unwanted activities will thus result in hindering your computer’s operations.
Let us now discuss how to detect a virus in your computer and the measures you will have to take in order to enhance virus protection and safeguard your computer.
How to Detect a Virus?
Given below are a few warning signs that will help you detect if your computer has a virus:
- Pop-up messages that suddenly appear and are difficult to get rid of
- A very slow running computer
- You can hear the sound of the hard drive in constant action
- Computer programs starting that you didn’t start up yourself or don’t recognize
One of these symptoms could be caused by a virus. If you experience more than one of these simultaneously, then this is indeed a strong indication that your computer has a virus. It is time now for you to download an antivirus program like Comodo Free Antivirus Software if your computer fails to have one.
Comodo Free Antivirus Software will provide you the following key features:
- Default Deny Approach – Prevents all files by default from entering the system until they prove themselves to be harmless.
- Containment Technology – Backs the default deny approach by ‘containing’ or ‘restraining’ files and then runs them in a separate environment. This is done until they prove to be harmless, without affecting your computer’s security.
- Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) – Capable of comprehensively monitoring your computer and preventing malicious attacks from entering it. It makes use of a ‘set of behavior analyzers’ to execute the search.
- VirusScope – This technology is useful for local PC analysis. It also allows users to undo malicious-looking changes which PC(s) might have recorded as a result of malicious actors.
- Efficient Whitelisting – Potential to mark certain files as trustworthy and give them default access.
- Cloud-based Behavior Analysis – Valkyrie: with the increase in zero-day malware, the need for a cloud-based behavior analysis system which can keep up with the various latest malware is relatively critical.
Some of the other security features, that Comodo free virus protection software really powerful, include one-click virus scanning, absolute application control, customizable protection and personalized protection alerts.
Follow the steps given below to get rid of a computer virus:
Step 1: Enter Safe Mode
Turn off your computer and on it again. Press the F8 button repeatedly when you see anything on the screen. The Advanced Boot Options menu will now be displayed. In this menu, select Safe Mode with Networking and then press Enter. For now, disconnect your computer from the Internet.
Step 2: Delete Temporary Files
With your computer being in the Safe Mode, you will now have to delete all temporary files using the Disk Cleanup tool. Deleting these files could, in fact, quicken the virus scanning you are to perform and could even help you to get rid of a virus if it was programmed to start when your computer boots up.
Step 3: Download a Virus Scanner
Your computer could already have an antivirus program, but you should now use a different scanner for this malware check, since your current antivirus software may have failed to detect the malware. You can now go in for a much more efficient scanner like Comodo Malware Scanner.
Step 4: Run a Virus Scan
Download the Comodo malware scanner and install it on your computer. You will nest have to update the malware scanner and again disconnect the computer from the internet. This should be followed by running a scan and upon completion check the results. Use the newly installed Comodo malware scanner to delete any threats.
Comodo malware scanner is a powerful antivirus scanner that has the potential to remove malware, hidden files, rootkits, and malicious registry keys hidden deep inside a system.
- Reinstall or recover any damaged software or files
After detecting and removing the virus, you will have to reinstall any programs or files damaged by the virus. Backups play a critical part at this point.
- Enhance your defenses
With new viruses being created almost every day, regularly updating your antivirus software will help protect your computer against these viruses and malware. You will also have to make regular backups of your files and store them on an external hard drive. This process will help prevent the loss of vital data if in case your computer gets another virus infection.