Best Free Malware Protection? Here Are Some Answers
In an age where its raining cybersecurity threats, the search for the best free malware protection (to protect your networks and enterprises) can seem elusive. Because what works today may not be that effective tomorrow, considering the pace at which the cybersecurity threat landscape keeps changing. But fear not, there are always certain security features to look out for (when selecting malware protection software), which stand the test of time and help you tackle various security threats – including zero-day attacks.
Let's take a look at some of the free malware protection tools which possess the above-said qualities making them the best free malware protection tools in the current IT security market.
Best Free Malware Protection Tools for 2019
- Comodo Internet Security
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- BitDefender Antivirus
- SpyBot Search & Destroy
- Comodo Internet Security: This security tool comes equipped with an impressive security stack which places it at the top spot. Technologies like Default Deny Approach, Defense+ Technology, HIPS, Containment etc., which accompany this antivirus package helps subscribers to successfully combat the rapidly changing cybersecurity threat landscape of today.
- Kaspersky Internet Security: The fact that US government has officially banned this security product from being used by its governmental agencies has done little to suppress its popularity. Apart from the fact its been around for a long time in the IT industry, the security features it offers place it right behind Comodo Internet Security.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: Another powerful anti-malware tool in the IT security market. Primarily a scanner for scanning and removing malware, it also protects you from other malicious software like adware, spyware and is equipped enough to even resist zero-day malware. Therefore easily makes it to our list.
- BitDefender Antivirus: Founded in 2011, this security company is expanding its security portfolio, although its Antivirus Software still remains the primary attraction. Probably the only antivirus company to offer 'family packs' (for home users), BitDefender is pretty innovative as well as effective. And No. 4 in our list, closely following malwarebytes anti-malware.
- SpyBot Search & Destroy: Lesser known of all in the list but certainly not less effective. Released in 2001, this has been around for quite some time now and many security experts suggest that it was probably the first security suite to successfully prevent adware campaigns.
Why Comodo Internet Security (CIS) Tops The List?
Comodo Internet Security (CIS) – which offers paid and free antivirus – tops the list because of the diverse range of security features it brings to the table turning the devices which make use of it as hackproof as possible to become in today's cybersecurity threat landscape. Some of the features of CIS are listed below:
- Default Deny Approach – for denying entry to unknown files and applications until they prove themselves to be harmless or benign. Pretty useful in detecting and preventing zero-day attacks.
- Defense+ Technology – another defense mechanism which combines 3 different technologies (VirusScope, Containment, and HIPS) and successfully combats both inside as well as outside threats.
- Enhanced Firewall: Comodo firewall which comes equipped with impressive security features like Stealth Mode, Auto-detection of Trusted Zones, predefined firewall policies etc., ensure traffic (both incoming and outgoing) gets regulated efficiently.
- Virtual Desktop – Comes in handy to prevent hackers from breaking into your PC(s).
- Cloud-Based Instant Malware Analysis – instant cloud-based malware analysis ensures zero-day attacks get thwarted easily.