Best Windows Antivirus to Enhance Your Windows 10 OS Security
Windows 10 is the most secure Microsoft OS. Equipped with Windows Defender Security Center, which comes with an inbuilt antivirus, firewall, parental controls, find my device, and other such security features, Windows 10 is definitely better than its predecessors when it comes to thwarting security threats. But unfortunately, even Windows 10 is not sufficient enough to tackle the sophisticated modern-day malware.
Therefore, in this blog post, let's take a look at some security measures Windows 10 users like you can take, to safeguard your operating system against security threats.
- Turn On System Protection: Believe it or not, Windows 10 disables System Protection by default. This means if there's a problem with your Windows, you won't be able to 'undo' it. Therefore even before you go ahead and install a security software like antivirus, make sure you've enabled system protection.
- Run Windows Defender Security Center: Since Windows comes with its own inbuilt security system – Windows Defender Security Center – it definitely worth it to run this once before you start using your device. Because, believe it or not, there have been cases of PC(s) and laptops being shipped with malware already installed on their hard drives. And such a quick check can uncover malware which may be hidden in your system.
- Review Windows 10's Privacy Settings: It also pays to review how your Windows 10's privacy settings have been configured - the first time you buy the device – and modify it to ensure absolute security. Because, who knows, your administrator might not have configured Windows 10 privacy settings to provide you utmost security. If so, you can always reset them while reviewing
- Remove Unwanted Software: Our PC(s) usually contain many software – some installed by us, some installed by the admin who configured our computer and some which install by themselves when we go online – and usually, at least some of them would be unwanted or unneeded. Therefore ensure such software is removed from your device at all costs. Because they can make your OS vulnerable.
- Run Windows Updates: Of course, Windows Updates will run automatically. But if your PC or laptop had been sitting in a warehouse without being connected to the internet, then chances are it may have missed some important updates – including updates to the Windows Defender Security Center. Therefore the moment you connect your device to a network, ensure you run Windows updates.
- Set Up Other User Accounts: If your PC or laptop is going to be used by more than one person, then it's better to have separate user accounts for each and every one of them. And also ensure you reserve the all-powerful administrator account to yourself and provide others only with limited Standard user accounts.
- Install Antivirus: Probably the most important step of all – installing antivirus. Because without antivirus, your PC or laptop won't be able to withstand the modern-day malware and zero-day threats. On the other hand, with antivirus installed on your device, you can keep malware and zero-day threats at bay.
Use Comodo Best Free Windows Antivirus
Comodo Antivirus which comes equipped with impressive security features is the best free Windows Antivirus available in the cybersecurity market. Technologies like Containment, Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), Viruscope, Secure Shopping, Firewall and more, ensure your Windows 7 OS is protected not just against known malware attacks but against zero-day threats too.
Comodo Antivirus is the best free windows antivirus because it contains the following features:
- Containment: Technology unique to Comodo which ensures all files or applications are denied entry into your PC(s) by default, whether they are known good (whitelisted ones), known bad (blacklisted ones) or unknown (not identified or encountered so far) until they prove themselves to be harmless.
- Host Intrusion Protection (HIPS): CIS also ships with a default HIPS rule-set which offer protection to your PC(s). Simply put, Comodo HIPS protects system critical files or folders from malware infections by enforcing a set of security rules that offer high levels of protection. HIPS rule-set is highly customizable.
- Viruscope – this technology unique to Comodo, basically monitors all the processes running on your computer and alerts you when a process behaves abnormally or has gone rogue (indications of malware infection). Using Viruscope, PC users can potentially reverse or undo such undesirable processes.
- Virtual Desktop: When browsing the internet, you give away vital information about your PC which can compromise its security badly. But with CIS, as you'll be subscribing to the services Virtual Desktop, you can freely browse the internet and run programs without any fear of those activities damaging your real computer.
- Rescue Disk: Extremely useful security feature which allows PC users to run virus scans in the pre-boot environment. That is before Windows OS loads itself.
- And Much More: Website filtering, protection against fileless malware, cloud-based protection and much more ensure your PC(s) are protected not just against different types of malware attacks but against zero-day threats as well.