How To Ensure You Choose Best Free Antivirus for Mac?
Antivirus packages are supposed to protect PC(s) against malicious software. Almost every PC contains one these days. But unfortunately, not all of them serve their purpose. As a result, the cyber security market has its share of inefficient antivirus packages, and each day, many gullible users fall prey to them. To prevent this from happening, we try to provide some answers here, using which PC users like you can make a better decision when it comes to selecting antivirus packages.
But First, What Is An Antivirus Software?
Antivirus software protects your PC(s) from all kinds of malicious software out there by regularly scanning your systems and preventing malware in its tracks mostly before (and sometimes after) the malware enters your system. They just detect and prevent the malware from operating.
Simply put, they are similar to security guards of our real world who stop strangers from entering into buildings. Because well, they may perceive them to be harmful, until the proper check - production of ID or a reference from someone inside the building - is carried out. Antivirus packages, pretty much do the same job for your PC.
Free Vs Paid Antivirus
Now that you know what antivirus package is, the next important question would be whether to go for free or paid antivirus. Almost every antivirus provider out there packages their software in two versions: free and paid. The free ones are usually good and often act as bait leading PC users towards a more comprehensive paid version. So the answer you are looking for is simple and straightforward one: free is good, but paid is even better!
What Makes An Antivirus Software The Best?
There's no such thing as the best antivirus package. Because what works today may not work that well tomorrow. But there are definitely certain industry-standard features which distinguish an antivirus package from the ordinary and help PC users like you successfully thwart various security threats out there.
A really good antivirus package will at least contain the following:
- Uses Default Deny Approach/Containment Technology - a technology unique to and developed by Comodo which ensures all files or applications - especially the unknown - are denied entry by default until they prove themselves to be harmless.
- Employs HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) - technology which effectively monitors all applications and processes running on your PC(s) and prevents unknown applications from accessing system-critical files or folders.
- Uses Viruscope - another technology unique to and developed by Comodo which, using a system of behavior recognizers, not only detects unauthorized actions but allows PC users to completely undo them. The ability to undo undesired actions is an efficient way of combating malware.
- Cloud-Based Instant Malware Analysis - This ensures the behavior of unrecognized files are analysed thoroughly for malicious activity by the Comodo Instant Malware Analysis (CIMA) server before they are granted access to your PC(s).
- And More: Other security features like real-time scan, rescue disk, automatic antivirus updates, protection against file-less malware and more are available with Comodo Antivirus.